23 August 2010

0124 – 0140: summer’s end.

My summer is officially waning to a close.  The explosions in the living room & my bedroom look no better…but they will soon.  My day today will be spent sorting, cleaning, grouping, counting, double-checking – and all the while, listening for the exact moment the dryer stops, so I can start a new load of laundry immediately.  Funny how I "never have anything to wear", but I have SO much laundry! 

Despite all these things – the mess and the fight against procrastination – I have had some really good days.  Here’s the best of ‘em:

0124:  a day in the woods with my freshman roommate
0125:  meeting part of her extended family
0126:  who live in a garage converted to a 2-story home.  it’s beautiful & so cool. [they are building their own actual house.  by themselves.]
0127:  she’s right – Mennonites are amazing cooks. 
0128:  eating sun-warmed blackberries right off the vine (…they grow on vines, right?)
0129:  canoeing for the first time since the Canoeing Disaster of 2008.
0130:  not falling in this time.
0131:  sore muscles afterwards
0132:  learning to skip rocks
0133:  “There was once a Velveteen Rabbit, & in the beginning he was really splendid…”
0134:  “Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin…” 
0135:   “In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines lived twelve little girls in two straight lines…”
0136:  campfire for pudgy pies (so fun to say) & s’mores.
0137:  “What people or experiences in your life so far have been most formative?” – great dinner conversation
0138:  big, big hugs
0139:  my roommate.  all of her, & everything she is.  
0140:  Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee / & Thy beauty fills my soul, / for by Thy transforming power, /  Thou hast made me whole.


holy experience

2 comments:

  1. I love picking fresh blackberries with my family. Although, I think I do more eating than picking. They're just so sweet! I spent my weekend reading and reminiscing in the children's section of the bookstore while I was Christmas shopping. Winnie The Pooh was definitely a favorite of mine. I was a huge Beatrix Potter fan as well. What other children's books were your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually did not like berries until a couple years ago. When I was a kid, they were just too tart. But now I LOVE.
    Hm...my mom remembers a lot better than I do, probably. I loooved Miss Rumphius, though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails